Our home ab workout plan includes the best exercises and diet tips to get a flat stomach, all without setting foot in the gym!
Everyone would love a flat and toned stomach.
It comes with a lot of benefits – you don’t struggle to zip up your favorite pair of skinny jeans and you’re loaded with self-confidence.
Well, don’t worry, if you follow this in-depth guide and you will see results and a flatter tummy!
The key is to do 3 targeted abdominal workouts and a cardio session.
Only doing ab exercises is a mistake a lot of women make and it won’t do the trick.
We have to combine those ab exercises with cardio to burn off the extra fat that covers our abdominal muscles.
So, no more waiting, let’s begin!
Optional Advice – For these workout sessions it’s recommended to use kettlebells or dumbells of around 8 to 10 pounds.
Adding weight will increase the resistance and, as a result, will boost the calories burned and muscle built.
Don’t panic if you can’t do these exercises with weights yet.
This is a beginner-friendly routine, so work your way up to using additional weight if you’re just starting out.
Crucial Exercises For A Flat Stomach
1. Oblique Pump
How to do them?
- Lie down on your back putting your right hand up to your head and bend your right foot. Keep your left foot straight.
- Hold a dumbbell or a kettlebell in your right hand and raise it so that you touch your ankle in the air.
- Hold it for a second and then return slowly to the starting position.
- Do 2 sets of 20 repetitions for each side.
2. Weighted Crunch
Crunches are very powerful when done correctly. Adding additional weight will provide more resistance and increase their effectiveness.
How to do them?
- First, lie down on your back holding a dumbbell with both hands behind your head. Keep your knees flat on the ground.
- Raise the dumbbell slowly while lifting your knees inwards until they touch your forehead.
- Hold for a second before returning slowly to the starting position.
- Do 4 sets of 15 repetitions.
3. Air Leg Extension
How to do them?
- Lie down on your back.
- Bend your knees inwards in a crunch position while holding a dumbbell with both hands under your chin.
- Next, straighten your legs in the air at a 30-degree angle to the ground and at the same time, extend your hands with the dumbbell.
- Hold for a second and then return to the starting position.
- Do 3 sets of 20 repetitions.
4. It’s Time For Cardio
When you complete the exercises above you need to rest for 5 to 6 minutes before starting a cardio workout.
Your cardio session doesn’t have to be complicated.
It’s just an activity that will boost your calories burn and give your metabolism a boost.
For best results do a quick, high-intensity cardio session.
Here is a 6-minute fat-burning cardio workout session that targets not only your abdominal area but your whole body.
Note that you have to do a cardio workout at least 4 times per week.
For quicker results, you need to maximize your effort and do cardio workouts 5 to 6 times a week.
But, make sure not to overdo it and let your body recover in between sessions!
An example of a good workout frequency would be having two workout days, then a rest day in a continuum over the week.
For example, workout on Monday and Tuesday, take Wednesday off, workout on Thursday and Friday, then take the weekend off.
Diet Rules For A Flat Stomach
1. Drink More Water
A golden rule for a flat stomach is drinking more water.
We’re made up of 70% water after all and not re-hydrating your body regularly can provoke problems and lead to weight gain.
Also, not drinking enough water during the day leads to excess water retention which causes bloating.
Make sure you drink enough water throughout the whole day, especially before and after a workout.
2. Consume Fewer Dairy Products
Cutting back on dairy and milk products will reduce stomach bloating and some digestion problems.
Most dairy products are also high in fat and carbs.
Carbohydrates are essential for your nutrition, but you should avoid consuming refined carbs which cause energy crashes and abdominal fat.
3. Consume More Fiber
Fiber is crucial for a healthy digestive system.
Foods rich in fiber keep you fuller for a longer period of time during the day making it less likely you’ll reach for an unhealthy snack.
So, you can choose to eat oatmeal for breakfast.
It has all the necessary nutrients that will keep you energized throughout the day.
If you eat any breads and pastas make sure you choose whole wheat instead of refined flour products for added fiber.
4. Add Spice
Adding extra spices like powdered ginger, cayenne pepper, paprika and cinnamon will boost your metabolism.
Just be aware not to overdo it!