Gluten Free & Keto Cheeseburger Pockets
A New Classic!
These gluten free & keto cheeseburger pockets come highly (!!) recommended. Fact is, it’s a fair bet that whoever tries these guys cannot believe they’re actually low carb.
Which they are, very much so. Think just 5g net carbs a pocket!
The (Dairy Free & Keto!) Dough
I’m using our famous Crazy Keto Dough (for everything!) here. It’s easy-peasyto whip up, dairy free, and you can leave the dough in the fridge for 3-4 days (i.e. you can whip up individual batches of several things!).
You can get three keto hot pockets out of a batch of dough. And also keep in mind that you don’t need to make it all into these pockets, as you can make actual keto tortillas, garlic breadsticks, (puffed up!) tortilla chips… and even some cinnamon roll knots! i.e. you’ve got options.
I like a mixture of super fine almond flour (Anthony’s super fine is awesome) and coconut flour (again Anthony’s, best taste and texture by a mile!). Add a touch of xanthan gum, baking powder, and we’re golden.
No substituting flours here and the xanthan gum is absolutely necessary. And, if possible, weigh your ingredients for consistent results.
I love to fill up these keto cheeseburger pockets with generous helpings of ground beef (cooked with a touch of lightly sautéed onions and garlic), a few slices of pickles, and a generous helping of sharp cheddar cheese.
Simple does it here. But you could also fill it up with actual burger patties, the choice is yours.
Oh, and not filling per se… but my keto cheeseburger sauce comes highly recommended. As does serving it up with a side of keto ‘potatoes’ (i.e. roasted radishes!) or jicama fries!
FOR THE KETO DOUGH
- 1 batch Crazy Keto Dough
- egg wash optional
- sesame seeds to garnish, optional
FOR THE CHEESEBURGER FILLING
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups cooked ground beef
- pickles sliced
- sharp cheddar cheese or cheese of choice
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper freshly ground
FOR MY KETO CHEESEBURGER SAUCE (OPTIONAL, BUT HIGHLY SUGGESTED!):
- 120 g keto mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 2-4 teaspoons pickle juice to taste
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika sweet or smoked
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder optional
- black pepper freshly ground
FOR THE KETO DOUGH:
- Whip up a batch of my Crazy Keto Dough. Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes while you prep the rest (and up to 5 days in the fridge).
FOR THE CHEESEBURGER POCKETS:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Break the dough into six 1 1/4” balls (30g a piece). Roll out between two sheets of parchment paper with a rolling pin or using a tortilla press until 5-inches in diameter. If fuzzy about presentation, trim edges. Use the dough ASAP, so it remains sticky and you can close the pockets easily (it dries out after 10-15 minutes at room temp and you would have to re-roll it).
- Assemble cheeseburger pockets by adding a layer of cheese, followed by ground beef, pickles and more cheese. Press 3/4 of the edges together and fill up with more ground beef (I like them nice and plump). Fold or press edges down with a fork.
- Place cheeseburger pockets in prepared tray, brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional) and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden all over.
- These guys are best served warm and straight from the oven, but they also do re-warm quite well
- Meal-prepping?! Freeze them prior to baking for up to 3 months: simply thaw in the fridge and bake as needed.
Please note that nutrition facts below are estimated for the dough only (so you guys can accommodate your filling of choice). Having said that, net carbs will still be 5g net per keto cheeseburger pocket if using ground beef and block cheese.