Canned tuna is a pantry staple in our home because of how convenient it is. We always have a few cans for the nights where we are out of meat and need a quick dinner. Growing up we enjoyed canned tuna in sandwiches and melts and tuna cakes best of all.
This recipe takes canned tuna to the next level with the addition of onion, jalapeno and LOTS of cilantro. The flavor of the cilantro along with the jalapenos and lemon juice makes spicy tuna cakes with a slight crunch that are SUPER delicious. If you’d like to go the extra step, top the tuna patties with a quick homemade sriracha aioli!
To get started with these tuna cakes all you’ll need is two 5-7 oz cans of tuna, cilantro, jalapeno, an egg, lemon or lime juice, a few tablespoons of mayo and almond flour (or bread crumbs), S &P, and garlic powder. Cumin powder can also be added if you’d like!
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, shape into small or large patties and cook on a skillet for a few minutes and there you have it! Warm and flavorful tuna cakes that can be used for meal prepping, in sandwiches, served with a salad, avocados, or a side of veggies. Also, don’t forget to make the sriracha aioli!
To make the tuna cakes spicy and give them an extra kick, chop up the jalapenos without removing the seeds but if spice is not your thing, simply scoop out the inside of the jalapenos and run them under cold water to remove the seeds.
To make the tuna low carb or keto, simply replace the breadcrumbs with almond flour. To make them low fat, replace the mayo with greek yogurt or sour-cream.
- 2 5-7 oz each cans of tuna in water or oil, drained well
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cilantro minced
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt or mayo
- 1/4 cup almond flour or breadcrumbs
- 1 jalapeño deseeded (optional) and diced
- juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
For the sriracha aioli
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt or mayo
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- To a large bowl add the drained tuna, egg, cilantro, onion, yogurt or mayo, almond flour, jalapeno, lemon or lime juice, garlic powder, cumin, and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Mix with a fork until fully combined. Shape mixture into 6-8 patties.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat; fry patties until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Serve with a side of avocado salad, in a sandwich, on a bed of greens or with a side of veggies. Drizzle with sriracha aioli if desired.
- To make cilantro aioli: whisk Greek yogurt or mayo, sriracha, and lime juice until combined.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 150kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 205mg | Potassium: 97mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 95IU | Vitamin C: 9.5mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 0.6mg