It looks like couples that work out together, stick together. No… really! Research shows that 94% of couples are more likely to stick to a fitness program when they exercise together. Yes, this goes for husbands and wives, boy and girl friends, and even best friends!
Think about it; people are more likely to stick to a workout routine when they have support and camaraderie behind them. And what better person to get you through body-sculpting, fat-torching workouts day after day than your bae? All you need to do is find the right couple’s workout routine, and you and the S.O. can make the most motivational, heart-pumping date night ever.
So for Valentine’s Day and every day, it’s time you and your boo ditch the traditional candlelit dinner and get sweatin’ (ahem, get your mind out of the gutter); because for the month of love, Studio SWEAT onDemand’s got 4 of the best partner exercises you can do as part of the ultimate couple’s workout routine.
Linked Sit Ups
This is a classic partner exercise – your partner is your rock, and in the case of this exercise—where you get the best resistance for the perfect sit-up.
How to Do It:
- Lie back on the floor with your knees bent
- Have your partner put their weight on your feet
- Slowly lift your upper body up about 5 inches or so
- Slowly lie back down
- Make sure you’re engaging your core and have your hands on your head
- As an alternative: both of you can face each other and link your shoes to your calves
- Perform the sit ups at the same time
- Do 15 reps per person for 3 sets
Muscles worked: Core (all of it!)
Our partners should hold us up, but for the sake of this couple workout, let your partner be the resistant force that makes a pushup all the more intense.
How to Do It:
- Get on your hands and knees, hands shoulder width apart
- Keeping your back straight, get up in a plank position with legs hip-width apart.
*Option to stay on the knees if you need to. I know I would need to for my 200lb man, otherwise I’d end up looking like a pancake crushed on the ground!
- Lower your upper-body as much as you can by bending your elbows
- Have your partner push on your shoulders as your slowly go back to the start position
- Another alternative is to have your partner lie on your back, or have your partner put their feet on your shoulders and weigh you down in a plank position
- Repeat 10-15 times each for 3 sets
Muscles worked: Back, Chest, Triceps, Glutes & Core
The most brilliant way to engage your core? Using the weight of your legs. There are endless variations of this move, but we love this one because this cute (but super intense) exercise ends with you and your partner doing a little love tap with your legs!
How to Do It:
- Sit up on the floor with your partner by your side
- Sit back so both of you are on your forearms and your lower spine is rounded
- Both of you lift your legs with knees bent
- While engaging your core, move your legs in a half-heart movement
- Touch your feet together at the top
- Hold the movement for a moment
- Repeat 15 to 20 times for 3 sets
Muscles worked: Glutes & Core
Linked Couple Squats
Nothing’s better than when you and your boo are in sync. Why not put that connection to the test with a couple’s squat that uses your partner’s bodyweight as leverage?
How to Do It:
From a standing position, face your partner and hold hands—your left with their left
Keeping your balance, you and your partner slowly squat down
Make sure your knees are in line with your toes
Before coming back up, release your hold and quickly switch hands
Repeat 15 times for 3 sets
Muscles worked: Glutes, Quads, and Hamstrings
We were being cute before, but we’re serious—studies show couples that work out together experience more satisfaction in their relationships, have more efficient workouts, and strengthen their connection with their partner. Fitness and falling in love—it’s all wrapped up in each other!
If you’re ready to let fitness into your life, get to know Studio SWEAT by signing up for our 7-Day Free Trial. You’ll get a full week of the hottest workouts, cycling classes using any bike you like, and real results. If you end up falling in love, sign up for our All Access Pass. So settle down, then get sweatin’!