The cheesy cauliflower cakes are a delicious alternative to meat. With several health benefits cauliflower has, it is always best to add them in different ways in our food. You can add cauliflower in salads or even use them as an alternative to rice or biscuits. Cauliflower recipes are low-carb and gluten free, but there is no loss in taste. If you don’t like cauliflower, then you should surely try to make this cauliflower cake recipe.
If you are short of time and want to make your meal fast, then it is better to boil or steam or roast the cauliflower beforehand so that you can prepare the dish faster and have time to prepare and serve the cakes with salad or a piece of fish to make your meal satisfactory. The combination of cauliflower and parmesan cheese is usually tolerated well by those who experience heartburn since it is baked instead of fried. These cheesy cauliflower cakes are less greasy, making it a healthier choice.
Total Time Taken: 35 min
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 (2 cakes each)
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree F
- Take a baking sheet and arrange a parchment paper
- In a large glass bowl mix together cauliflower, cheese, egg and breadcrumbs
- Mash all the ingredients with a fork until they are mixed well
- Using a clean hands make 8 cakes from the mix
- Place these cakes on the prepared baking sheet and spray the top with cooking spray
- Bake for 20 minutes until it turns golden in color
- Allow it to cool slightly before serving
Ingredient Variations and Substitutions
- For any dish it is always better to use fresh fruits and vegetables and this applies to cauliflower as well, but if you don’t find fresh cauliflower, then it is better to go for the frozen variety. For frozen cauliflower, you have to thaw it in the microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes before cooking. Drain all the excess water and then allow it to cool before you mix in other ingredients.
- The cheesy Cauliflower cakes are absolutely flavorful on their own, but you can increase their flavor by adding in some fresh herbs like parsley, chives or basil.
Cooking and Serving Tips
To make these cauliflower cakes crispy from the top, broil for 2 to 3 minutes before removing them from the oven. If you choose to broil, keep a close eye on them to prevent burning. Serve them over a nice layer of greens for a vegetarian option or you can serve it as a side dish along with piece of fish or meat.