Ice cream cake is two great desserts in one, but sometimes it can stray a little too heavy on the cake side, and a lot too light on the ice cream side. But, not anymore! This is how you can make the ultimate ice cream sandwich cake.
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake (8-12 servings)
• 14 chocolate sandwich cookies (Oreos or other similar cookies)
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
• 8-9 ice cream sandwiches (cut in half both horizontally and vertically)
• 1-pint pistachio ice cream softened (can use any flavor)
• 1-pint strawberry ice cream softened (can use any flavor)
• 1-pint chocolate chip ice cream softened (can use any flavor)
• 3 cups whipped cream
• ¼ cup magic shell (optional – can substitute chocolate sauce or hot fudge sauce)
• 8 maraschino cherries (optional)
• ¼ cup chopped nuts (optional)
1. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line the sides of the pan with waxed paper. Trim this paper to fit the height of the pan.
2. Place the chocolate sandwich cookies in a food processor and blend until the cookies are reduced to crumbs. Add the melted butter and pulse until the mixture starts to hold together.
3. Add the cookie mixture to the springform pan and press firmly into an even layer on the bottom of the pan. Stack the cut ice cream sandwiches, vertically on end, until you have a completed ring of ice cream sandwiches. Chill in the freezer for an hour to firm up the ice cream, and set the cookie crust.
4. Add the pistachio ice cream to a large bowl and stir until a firm spreading consistency is reached. Spread the pistachio ice cream in an even layer in the center of the ice cream sandwiches and return the pan to the freezer. Repeat this process with the strawberry and then the chocolate chip ice cream.
5. Top the cake with a layer of whipped cream. Return the cake to the freezer overnight. Remove the wax paper before serving. Top with some more whipped cream, magic shell, maraschino cherries, and chopped nuts, if desired.